What is Ethical Leadership and how can you deliver it?
Ethical leadership is driven by respect for values and for the dignity and rights of others. As such, it is anchored in trust, honesty, consideration, charisma, and fairness. The theory is perhaps simple; putting ethical leadership into daily practice in our schools, though, is much more difficult.
However, we can improve our performance management and quality assurance processes to ensure they are fair, supportive and developmental, and we can invest in our colleagues’ professional development so that they feel valued and are helped to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to do their job well. This course will explore ways of doing just this.
Part One: Ethical leadership in education
- What is ethical leadership
- The 5 principles of ethical leadership
- Ethical leadership in a post-Covid world
- Adopting ethical behaviours
- Introducing the golden triangle: performance management, quality assurance and professional development
- Take-away actions for school leaders
- Reducing teacher workload
Part Two: Performance management and quality assurance
- From performance management to performance development
- Using teacher standards in appraisal
- The importance of regular monitoring
- Using professional judgment
- From quality assurance to quality improvement
- Counting what counts: Making QA holistic, accurate and fair
- 5 facets of effective school leadership
- 4 qualities of great people leadership
Part Three: Professional development
- Developing dual professionalism
- CPD for innovation and mastery
- Making CPD worthwhile, relevant and sustainable
- From CPD to JPD: the power of collaboration
- Measuring the impact of CPD
- 6 steps for managing school provision
** Launching 30th October 2020**
Led by Matt Bromley
Matt Bromley is an education writer and advisor with over twenty years’ experience in teaching and leadership including as a secondary school headteacher and principal, FE college vice principal, and MAT director. He also works as a public speaker, trainer, and school improvement lead, and is a primary school governor. Matt writes for various newspapers and magazines, sits on SecEd’s editorial board and co-hosts their podcast. He is the author of numerous best-selling books for teachers and his education blog has been voted one of the UK’s most influential.
He regularly speaks at national and international conferences and events, and provides education advice to charities, government agencies, training providers, colleges and multi-academy trusts. He works as a consultant and trainer with several companies and also provides a wide selection of direct-to-market consultancy and training services through his own company, Bromley Education, which he founded in 2012.