Launching November 2020
Most people are now aware of Autism, or have at least heard of it. This course provides a general introduction to autism looking at spectrum looking at the history of understanding autism and the latest research as well as the main characteristics and how we currently support Autism. This course is perfect for anyone who wants to develop their understanding of autism for personal or professional reasons.
Module 1 – What is Autism?
- What is the history of Autism?
- What are the main characteristics of Autism?
- Autism and neurotypical/neurodiverse
- Genetics of autism
- Why is autism a spectrum
- Common terminology & alternative names
Module 2 – Diagnosing Autism
- How important is diagnosis
- How diagnosis is made
- DSM-5 & ICD-10 Criteria
- What does autism feel like
- Autism in females
Module 3 – Autism in daily life
- Executive function skills
- Social communication and social interaction characteristics
- Repetitive and restrictive behaviour
- Highly focused interests or hobbies
- Sensory Sensitivities
- Autism & mental health
Module 4 – Supporting Autism
- Interventions & evaluating evidence:
- Applied behavioural analysis
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Pre-school Autism Communication Therapy (PACT)
- Supporting within family life
- Supporting within education
- Autism in adulthood
In partnership with: